Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Monday & Tuesday

I can't believe how fast the time is going. We are at the 1/2 way point of our trip. On Monday, we switched apartments. This was part of our agreement with the guy we were renting from. The apartment we were in was being renovated on July 1st. The apartment we were in was the same one we stayed in on first trip so we wanted the comfort factor of familiarity. We were on the 19th floor so we had a gorgeous panoramic view of Moscow. One of my favorite things to do was sit in the kitchen, with a glass of bad Russian wine and watch the sun set over the city. With the new apartment we are in the same building, in the exact same apartment location just 15 floors lower on the 4th floor, so now we just see the buildings next to us. The apartment is very comfortable. Back when I was sick with my cold, I commented to John that I was glad I could go sleep in the bedroom and close the door and he could do what he wanted in the family room rather than being in a one room hotel.

On Monday night, we had dinner with another family that was adopting with our agency, they were here for court. We met at TGi Fridays and had a nice dinner. It was fun to get together with them and see pictures of their son and just visit and hear about their experience. They were flying home the next day to wait out the 10 days at home.

On Tuesday, we went to visit Thomas. He was still napping, so they had to wake him. He was actually sleeping outside. They have playpens in the shade that the children sleep in, believing that the fresh air is good for them. The caretaker brought him in along with a cute girl, who is also being adopted by an American couple. He was bundled from head to toe with sleeper, hat and a sleeper suit. The only thing you could see was in round face, the rest of his body looked like the Michelin man...all padded and stiff. They believe in overdressing the children, and even though it was 73 degrees, they dress them as if its 40 degrees. He glanced at us and we both thought there was a slight look of recognition on his face when he saw us. He's so young at 9 months, its hard to tell what he's thinking. As far as we know...we're just the people that pop in and out of life for a few hours and give him continous attention. He does show a strong preference to being carried as we walk rather than going in the stroller, though.

After the orphanage, we had our driver drop us at the entrance to Old Arbat street. Its a pedestrian street with lots of tourist stuff. We went and ate at My-My's again. We're getting a little more daring with our food selection. An older guy in front of us (its cafeteria style) picked something that looked good...a fried triangle of something. We both got it also along with fried potatoes and mushrooms and an unknown white sauce with dill. It turned out to be a pork cutlet. I was really wanting some vegetables. I chose a cabbage/carrot salad. You are supposed to stay away from fresh vegetables as they are washed with the local water and has the possibility of messing up your stomach. I figured they'd been pickled in some vinegar. Vinegar will kill the stuff that makes you sick, so I figured I was safe. We then walked to the grocery and picked up as much as we could carry home.

On Wednesday, we're having a tourist day. We've hired Violett and Vladimir, our driver, to take us to the Cosmonaut museum. We thought we may also go to the Russian Military museum (very much a "man" day) but Violett suggested she wanted to take us to an estate slightly out of town that the Czar's would visit. So we'll go with her suggestion.

Lastly, I wanted to say "hello" to Audrey in Oregon!
Jill

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog immensely. I follow it daily. Your Russian experiences are fascinating. I'm so happy for you. May Thomas bless your life with joy and happiness....from T's Mom.

    ReplyDelete