We enjoyed the museum. Saw all kinds of things encrusted with jewels...guns, swords, bible covers, goblets, platters, robes, religious icon frames, crowns and even carriages. I had a hard time comprehending why you would have a carriage with diamonds decorating the wheel spokes. The items were so close you could reach out and touch the carriage wheels if you wanted, although I'm sure some alarm would go off. I wondered how many people thought about trying to pry one of the diamonds out. I had no idea there was so much gold and silver, pearls, diamonds, emeralds and other jewels in the museum. Also in the museum are several Faberge eggs and other beautiful items made by the Faberge company. The armory dates from 1511 and has always been used to warehouse the royal gifts and treasures.
We then went ahead and did the architectural tour of the Kremlin. We visited several Russian Orthodox Cathedrals dating from the 1300's through the 1500's. All the churches are in a small area and have unique features. Some are huge cathdedrals with chandeliers and walls of painted frescos and icons while others are very small, dark and are only partially restored. By about the sixth and final church, you start getting church burn-out. They did not allow photographs in any church, unlike Europe.
We took a rest on a bench in The Secret Gardens. They had a lot of impatients planted in color patterns along with a small rose garden. We headed back home, and stopped at the grocery again. With a small apartment refrigerator and the fact that you can only buy as many groceries as you can carry back to the apartment, you run out of groceries fast. I'll remember this when I'm back in the US at the warehouse club store buying jumbo packs of everything that will last me months. We were feeling like Mexican, so we bought stuff to make chicken burritos Russian style. Which was kind of an improv thing as we really didn't have any authentic burrito ingredients other than salsa. But with some canned corn, fried diced potatoes, chicken strips, cheese and the salsa on some kind of Russian flatbread we had Fiesta Friday. I didn't get any sour cream, which would have made them excellent, and the irony is you can always find sour cream in Russia. We did 2 loads of laundry and headed to bed.
We ate dinner at Yalki-Palki, a Russian chain restaurant. John had mushroom soup and chicken cutlets with mashed potatoes and I had Hungarian Goulash. It was ok. The My-My restaurant food was better. We then walked north of our apartment to a church we could see from our window and then over to a very long park with lots of beautiful trees and fountains. We walked the length of the park then turned around and walked until we hit New Arbat street and headed back to the apartment. We decided to live dangerously and bought ice cream from a steet vendor. It wasn't the pre-packaged Nestle bar type but the actual ice cream in a cone. We'll see by tomorrow if that was a mistake. John is missing ice. I'm getting tired of brushing my teeth with bottled water. So far we've been super careful about boiling our water or drinking bottled and avoiding anything rinsed in the water and haven't had any stomach issues. We have no plans for tomorrow yet. So we'll see what we discover.
No comments:
Post a Comment